Monday, October 18, 2010

Cutting the outline of the violin top

IMGP0208spruce

After getting the ribs leveled (they're still attached to the form) and leveling what will be the inside surface of the top, I clamped the two together and traced the outline. For the first time, I used a handheld power jig saw to cut the outline. In the past, I've used the bandsaw. It worked reasonably well, and quick, but you do have to be careful to cut in the proper direction for the grain, as it's easy to lift out little chunks of spruce if you're cutting 'uphill'.

Then it's onto rasps and knives to clean up the outline, a bit of pencil work to try to get the corners right, and one part I really enjoy, taking off wood with the planes as I start the arching (the outside shape).

No comments:

Post a Comment