These things are tiny, say 15 inches or so, and not meant to put out much volume -- a tool for a job, one that isn't done much these days.
Last month, Rachel Barton Pine put on a concert of Vivaldi's Four Seasons with the Boise Baroque Orchestra. In conjunction with that, she gave a talk on Baroque performance techniques, which I also attended. During the talk she made two points regarding kit fiddles that caught my ear. First, these were also used as traveling fiddles. Most taverns had a violin for use by customers, and since it was hard enough to travel in those days, it would be an additional chore to carry along a full-size instrument. But travelers might want to play a few tunes, so these pochettes, with their small bows and small cases, could be taken along to while away the idle time.
This also struck me, having just returned from a trip where I took my full-sized fiddle, case, and bow, and then ended up putting a heavy practice mute on it to while away the random spare time in the motel room, learning a few new tunes with my iPhone headphones on. I'm traveling to see things, and the violin is nice to have along, but I'm not performing. Something smaller to carry, particularly when flying, would be convenient.
The second thing Mrs Pine mentioned that caught my ear was that while idling away the hours, these travelers developed, or improved, their strathspey bowing. I'm still not sure how, but since I am involved with Scottish Country Dance, that was interesting to me.
So, I started looking through my collected materials and that on the web. I wanted a simple design, as this was a concept to be tried, and I didn't want to get bogged down in decorative details. I settlled on the Glasgow Kit Fiddle --
I had no dimensions for this instrument, but decided to go with a 3/4 violin string length and scale from that to the size of the photo. I drew out a pattern and cut a simple plywood form.
I should add that since I was being simple, I decided also to be cheap. All the material I used, except the fingerboard and the ribs, were scrap I had lying about the shop -- discarded other projects.
The neck I cut from a block of local maple, roughly at the right orientation.
The ribs I bent in one piece. Not sure that was a great idea, but that's what I did this time.
When I was done, I had a kit fiddle with a total length of just under 20 inches. Here it is next to a 1/4-size violin bow.
Still learning how to play the thing, and plan to put up a video soon. If you'd like to see more details of the construction, you can go to my Flickr set (assuming the new format allows such a thing).