Friday, March 5, 2010

Strung up

Spent time yesterday (Antonio Vivaldi's 332nd birthday) putting on the fittings (pegs, bridge, soundpost, and such). Didn't have the tailpiece I wanted, so used a metal one. Didn't have the strings I wanted, so used a set of Zyex (old formulation) I had lying about. But really, there is so much settling in that takes place the first week, not to mention the adjusting that I am prone to do -- move the soundpost this way, re-tune, listen, move the post again -- so the first set of strings is badly abused anyway.

IMGP3487TitianStrung

I played it at band rehearsal last night, and both Tim and Bill thought it sounded better than my previous violin. I thought the A was dull, and that my other violin was easier to play -- but it has several months of playing on it now, and I am a believer of the "playing-in" effect. This morning, strung up less than 24 hours, I think it already sounds better.

In a few days, I'll post a video, with me scratching out a tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment