Since I'm really just trying to get the basic geometry down on my Hardanger fiddle build, I toyed with the idea of simply modifying a standard violin tailpiece. That's ready to go for the top 4 strings, and then I can add some wire hooks for the 5 understrings. But it just didn't seem right to me, especially in contrast with the traditional overlapping soundholes I had already made.
On the other hand, I didn't want to go with all the decoration on a traditional Hardanger. That would be too much in contrast the other way with my rather plain build on the rest of the fiddle. A nicely figured piece of wood will have to be decorative enough for this one.
In Sverre Sandvik's book Vi byggjer Hardingfele -- English translation is (How) We Build the Hardanger Fiddle, translation by Eldon Ellingson -- are some details for the tailpiece. It can't be too heavy. It must not be too light. Goldilocks. But, one must start somewhere, so from the plans contained with the book, I traced the tailpiece outline with tracing paper, then onto a piece of cardstock (a bit of junk mail, actually). Found a nice piece of cut-off maple from a previous violin top, traced it out there, using the cardstock template, and cut it out on the band saw. Then, taking a block plane, start to clean up the top surface.
Some more work with planes, knives, and rasps, it's starting to take shape.
Of course, there is the underneath work, that the player seldom sees, but has the needed hollowed out places for the tailgut to fit, as well as thinning for the string holes.